Pages

project your goodness; you never know who will see.

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Psalm 139

Psalm 139.4-6 reads,
Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.
    You hem me in, behind and before,
    and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high: I cannot attain it. 
I don't generally have a problem with swearing. I think there can be an excessive and inappropriate use of it, but generally, swear words make me laugh more than cringe. No need to test me. Along with swear words, the phrase, "Oh, my God!" doesn't necessarily bother me either.

What does bother me are words said in vain. And I heard a lot of them. I say things in vain, too, don't get me wrong, but when I read these few verses in the 136th psalm: Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether. See, most people don't know what I'm going to say next- it's always a surprise what they're reaction will be. Hell, I don't know what I'm going to say next sometimes, but how intimidating that God knows what I'm going to say next. Not just the 'bad stuff' I say, like swear words, I guess, but the empty promises I make. I may not even intend to be empty.

I've said things I regret, and to know that God knew them before I said it...not even, "God, why didn't you stop me from saying that?" but, "Why do I still say stuff like that?" or "Why do I think like that?" I wouldn't say it if I didn't already think it. For out of the mouth, the heart speaks.

Perhaps that's why the psalmist continues with, You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. It's all a part of my training. Though I may regret words I've spoken, or words that were spoken to me, that makes them no more or less valuable to the experience you've planned for me. You know how I am, what I say and do, who I'll befriend, what I like, what I dislike, and intend to use every part of me to become better (vs. 23).

I may ascend to heaven, or descend to the depths of Sheol (vs. 10) and you are still there.
I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
(vs. 14)
Now, for my head to know it, and my hands to practice it.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment