Pages

project your goodness; you never know who will see.

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 5, 2014

People Pleaser

1 Corinthians 10.13 (ESV) reads,
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
 Then 10.14 reads,
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
 Because why should I endure temptation and have to escape it, if I can avoid it altogether.

I doubt that Paul here is saying we should live in little bubbles so that we never interact with all life, including the best it has to offer- I mean, have you seen (read?) Paul's life all the stuff he did, and all the stuff that happened to him?! Bitten by snakes; shipwrecked; stoned (ahaha). He didn't avoid life, he threw himself into it.

Now, I'm also not saying (nor is Paul saying) we should all want to be bitten by snakes, and shipwrecked, and stoned (haha), but why walk into a trap when there's already a huge warning sign that says,
"TRAP!"

That's probably why Paul goes on to say for Christians that when you go to someone's house and they offer you food, just eat it. Be kind for they were kind to you. But in the same way, if your host says, "This has been offered in sacrifice..." -wait, what would be the modern equivalent of that? So, if your host says, "This food was made my enslaved, poorly treated house elves," you probably shouldn't eat it.

Now, admittedly, I don't really understand what Paul is trying to say in 1 Corinthians 10.29,30. I should not partake of the food not because of my conscience but for my host's conscience? I don't know why I should be denounced because of that for which I give thanks, Paul, why are you asking? I have to go find a pastor for that.

Anyway, 1 Corinthians 10.31-33 finishes with,
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to the Greeks, or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. 
I doubt that a man who was bitten by snakes, shipwrecked, (almost imprisoned multiple times), and stoned was a people pleaser like we know people pleasers today; so, I think when Paul writes that he tries to please everyone in everything I do, he's not colorblind; he's aware of customs and cultures different from his own. He's not going to pretend that the rest of the world is just like his world and for that I am thankful. We need a lot more people like that. He couldn't write 1 Corinthians, chapter 10 (or the rest of his letters for that matter) if he didn't practice what he preached, yeah? :P

So, even though I don't know whose conscience I should be worrying about (probably my own because I can't read anyone else's mind, or live anyone else's life), I should do all the glory of God. Everything. I should live blamelessly. Like Christ. Yeah. I can do that. Okay. I guess I have to get out of bed to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment